Wednesday 10 September 2014

All About Ms. Wand

I'm a nature lover.  I have been known to hug trees.  I strongly believe that children can't love and care for what they don't know about.  I grew up in Brighton, ON on the shores of Presqu'ile Provincial Park.  My playground was the waters of Lake Ontario, the sandunes, forests and marshes of Presqu'ile.  I grew up collecting caterpillars and snapping turtles, hand-feeding swans and mucking about in the marsh uncovering the mysteries of the lake.

I believe that education is not just about the curriculum.  My goal is to give students the tools and environment in which to become motivated, self-regulated, and caring citizens - all while giving them the academic start they need to become life-long learners.  I love my job.

This year marks my sixteenth year of teaching.  My teaching career started in New Brunswick and I later taught in Newmarket and just recently spent five years in a term position as Outdoor Education Lead Teacher within the board.  I have spent one year here at Highview teaching Grade One.  I have also been a Summer Learning Principal in the board for the past three years.  Prior to teaching I was an Advanced Care Paramedic and have spent over 25 years in the residential camping industry starting out as a sailing instructor and working my up to directing camps in Canada, the US and abroad.  

I have an affinity for rubber chickens, dragonflies and of course - Monarch Butterflies.    As a Lead Teacher for the Monarch Teacher Network of Canada, I spend much of my summer raising Monarchs, creating Monarch habitats and teaching other educators across Canada on how to Teach and Learn with Monarch Butterflies.  It's a busy time but something I am passionate about and I never tire of the look of wonder on the faces of my students when a caterpillar pupates or a butterfly emerges or they get a true butterfly kiss.  It's magical and an important step to teaching our children to become environmental stewards. The can't love what they don't know!

I am excited about being part of an incredible FDK team here at Highview and look forward to partnering with you in the early education of your children!

“In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught.”

― Baba Dioum